Laser thread vein removal is a safe and effective treatment for removing unsightly spider veins and broken capillaries on the face and legs. Using state-of-the-art laser technology, our trained technicians target and destroy unwanted blood vessels while leaving the surrounding skin unharmed. The procedure is quick and relatively painless, with minimal downtime. Results can be seen in as little as one treatment, and most patients achieve the desired result after 2-3 sessions.
What are the causes of spider veins?
Spider veins, also known as thread veins or telangiectasias, are small, visibly dilated blood vessels that typically appear on the legs and face. They are usually red, blue, or purple in color and can be found in a web-like pattern or scattered throughout the affected area.
There are several factors that can contribute to the development of spider veins, including:
- Genetics: a family history of spider veins increases the likelihood of developing them.
- Hormonal changes: during pregnancy, menopause, and other hormonal changes, the risk of spider veins increases.
- Age: as we age, the skin loses elasticity, making it more likely for blood vessels to become visible.
- Prolonged standing or sitting: occupations that require prolonged periods of standing or sitting can increase the pressure on the legs, leading to the development of spider veins.
- Obesity: carrying extra weight can put added pressure on the legs and increase the risk of spider veins.
- Trauma: any injury or damage to the skin can cause spider veins to appear.
- Sun exposure: long-term sun exposure can lead to skin damage and an increased risk of spider veins.
It’s worth noting that spider veins are not a medical concern, they are a cosmetic issue, it’s not harmful or dangerous for your health.
How does the procedure work?
During the procedure, a specialized laser is directed at the unwanted thread veins or capillaries. The laser emits light energy, which is absorbed by the blood vessels causing them to heat up and eventually be destroyed. The surrounding healthy skin is not affected by the laser, as it has a different wavelength. The procedure typically takes 15-30 minutes per session depending on the size and number of veins being treated. The procedure is relatively painless, with most patients experiencing mild discomfort. There may be some redness and swelling immediately after the procedure, but this typically subsides within a few days. The number of sessions needed will depend on the size and number of thread veins being treated, and the desired outcome.
How soon will I see results?
You may see some improvement in the appearance of thread veins immediately after the first treatment, but it typically takes several weeks for the full results to be visible. The number of sessions needed to achieve the desired outcome will depend on the size and number of thread veins being treated, as well as your individual skin type.
Most patients will see the best results after 2-3 sessions, but it is not uncommon for some people to need additional sessions to achieve the desired outcome.
It’s important to note that it may take several weeks for the full results to be visible, and some redness, swelling, and mild discomfort may be present for a few days after the treatment. Additionally, it’s important to maintain a healthy lifestyle, avoid sun exposure and wear sunscreen to help maintain the results of the treatment.
What are some post-care requirements?
- Avoid sun exposure: Stay out of the sun for at least two weeks after the procedure and avoid sun exposure as much as possible. Sun exposure can cause hyperpigmentation and affect the results of the treatment. If going out, make sure to apply a sunscreen with at least SPF 30.
- Wear compression stockings: Your practitioner may advise you to wear compression stockings for a certain period of time after the treatment to help reduce swelling and promote healing.
- Avoid hot baths or showers: Hot water can cause increased blood flow to the treated area, which can cause increased redness, swelling, and discomfort.
- Avoid strenuous activities: Avoid activities that can cause increased blood flow to the legs such as running, cycling or weightlifting for a certain period of time after the treatment.
- Avoid scrubs, exfoliants or chemical peels: Avoid using scrubs, exfoliants or chemical peels on the treated area as they can cause irritation and affect the results of the treatment.